Wednesday, September 15, 2021

This October... It's Time To Scream, and Laugh

Well, here we are again. October's coming up fast and, like always, I have a month full of reviews planned for you. So, what can you expect this year? It's bested summed up in my not so original title for this year's October Fest: Screams of Laughter. This time, horror-comedies are the name of the game, be they flat out parodies, movies that have fun with the elements of the horror genre, or otherwise straight horror movies that also manage to have a sense of humor about them. Not all of the movies featured will be laugh riots or even good, but each one will fit this interesting criteria. What you have to include forward to includes an old dark house comedy starring Lon Chaney, some silly fun with Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, Peter Lorre, and Vincent Price, the spookier adventures of Abbott and Costello, the experiments of one Frederick Fronkensteen, the misadventures of a group of ghost hunters, and the funny, and often quite gory, early films of a certain New Zealand filmmaker who's now best known for making movies about hobbits and walking trees. Yeah, this will be quite the wild ride, and you'll also see two reviews from my blog's very first year, re-uploaded with a new coat of paint that includes images, more detail, and better grammar. View that as a prelude to what I plan to make a habit on future October Fests. But don't worry. That doesn't mean I'm running out of stuff to work with. Trust me, if you saw my movie collection and the place where I keep the stuff I intend to get rid of, you'd know I'm good for years to come.

In any case, see you on October 1st.

6 comments:

  1. 1. Do you ever plan to see/review the v/h/s films?
    2. What are two reviews you are planning to update (mabye a hint.)
    3. I am planning to watch Nosferatu, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, and the 1925 phantom of the opera. But I need to know where can i see the versions you recomended. For nosferatu, where can I find the version with the right soundtrack. For cabinet, where can I find the version with the proper fitlers and music. For phantom, where can i find the 1925 version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. I actually have seen the first one. I'll probably see the others at some point.
      2. You'll have to wait and see. Whenever I'm vague like that, I mean it as a surprise.
      3. If you have the money, you can get all three of those on Blu-Ray from Kino Classics, with the versions you mentioned.

      If not, here are some links to the best versions of them available online.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDUfV4wcGx0

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpF4MoeeBVI (you'll have to turn the English subtitles on using the Closed Caption button on the player)

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81mjaAR70z0

      Delete
  2. I have always wondered have you seen the two yongary films and Journey to the seventh planet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen the original Yongary from the 60's but not the remake. And I have never even heard of Journey to the Seventh Planet.

      Delete
  3. Since you have seen the original yongary, you are aware of the original korean version of the movie is lost and the english version is the only version that survives. If you are not, look up the film's wikipedia page as well get the kino blu ray and listen to the audio commentary. here is a link to the surviving footage. https://archive.org/details/youtube-E-B8RZdxDjY
    Same thing with journey to the seventh planet. If you plan to see the movie, check out the kino blu ray and listen to the commentary where you will find out the english version is the only one of the two versions that is aviable. the same goes for the yonggary remake where is the 2001 version is the only one aviable and the 1999 version is lost. Check out the yonggary chronicle project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good Cody. Look forward to these each year.

    ReplyDelete